Thursday, May 13, 2010

Rainy Day Thursday...We sure got Spring this year!!!

I know rain, rain, rain.....that's all it is doing. But someday and I mean someday when the sun comes out and the wet dries up we will have emerald city out there!! Of course my gardening will involve mud...big sloppy mud pies!!

So whats new around here! The LSB is going to town we need to raise the grow lights up because the tomato plants are sticking their little heads up there! All the seedlings are taking off and I can't wait for what this will all look like in 30 days!

On our travels yesterday we visited the 100mile Market in Kalamazoo. We picked up some cool heirloom tomato plants, cranberry jam, fresh greens and some YUMMMMMY granola cookies! I would travel there every Wednesday just for the cookies!

We also went up to the Otsego area to finally pick up some Highland Beef. I ran across the info and website months ago and we just haven't been able to coincide the visit with a trip with the $$ all at one time. Yesterday was the day and Phyllis Rogers of Rogers Land & Cattle set down and gave us all the info and ran us through the beef and pork products that she carries. If you know us you know we are big ground beef eaters and since our change over to organic this hasn't been on our daily list of goodies. Highland Beef is lower in cholesterol than Chicken, higher protien than chicken and leaner than some fish. So now I just have to remember the specialities of cooking it and Yum ground beef is back on the list of GOOD THINGS! I'll let you know how it goes.

So the worm composter is just waiting for it's inhabitants Randy is suppose to order the 1,000 red wigglers this weekend. The compost barrel is cooking, since we have already filled it up so now you know why we are also doing vermicomposting to keep up with our fruit and vegetable scraps. This weekend we are going to play and build a 2 liter pop bottle aquaponic set up just for the fun of it and see how it goes. Yah you can grow goodies in bottles. I think I will put my entire herb garden in it! We will see, we have been working on the layout for our system for the basement for next winter. Trying to maximise what space we have and what we can grow in that space. I am rooting for some vertical grow beds for greens and strawberries!! It ought to be fun!!

Lets just hope the sun comes out and I an get back to the outdoor goodies like putting in the garden and working on the front yard landscaping again! Have a great day and Huggies all around for everyone!

Dilly

No comments:

Post a Comment