Thursday, January 20, 2011

A very sad day in our family!


Today we lost a beloved pet that has been part of our lives for 15 years. Twiggy aka Shannons Handsome Man came to live with our family many years ago. Shannon worked at a vets office in Eaton Rapids at the time. She gave me a line of baloney that they vets clinic was being painted and all the animals they were housing needed to stay someplace for the weekend. A cat she had been talking about was going to spend the weekend with us. He had been dropped off by his owners to be put down because he was hit by a car. His pelvis had been shattered and he had been in a Halo with pins to hold him all together. Being the softy I am I said the kitty could stay with us during the remodel. Here came this beautiful cat who acted more like a dog in cats clothing. He was no longer in a Halo and moved around pretty good. I will never know if they actually ever painted the vets clinic that weekend. But the weekend lasted for 15 years and Twiggy, which Shannon described as a tall skinny guy made his way into our hearts.

Now he may have had his pelvis crushed, but the vet must have put in bionic parts. Twiggy could jump up to the top of my china cabinet, then jump up to the top of the woodwork over the doors, windows and arches in our 10' ceiling house. This was the healthiest jumping cat you ever saw!

He did jump once to often. I can't even remember if I was home at the time, but I believe it was a beautiful bouquet of flowers and knowing Shannon they were probably hers. They were on my fireplace mantle along with a large lithograph leaning on the mantle and candlesticks. Under the mantle on the floor was a huge glass candle settin in a raised stand on the floor. Twiggy went to inspect the flowers and dumped everything on the floor! It was a total loss I figured a replacement cost of $350 wipped out. He was safely shut in Shannon's room until I got over the need to boot his butt to the curb. I also got a Please Forgive me with a stamp pad copy of his paw on it!

When Shannon and Shawn married in 2005 Twiggy went to live with them. He made buddies with Shawns cat Kolbe, and Daisy and Dillon their Great Pyrennes. Anytime we would visit the Twig-Meister would always come for some loving. He was so affectionate and loving.

Last night Twig had some kind of seizure or heart attack and was gone in a matter of minutes. Shannon and Shawn rushed him to Dr. Snow who immediately put Twig out of his pain and sent him to Heaven to romp and play with Sheba and Buddy! I am sure they are all happy to be together again! Bless you Twig and may you rest and play in peace we will miss you so much!

Dilly

2 comments:

  1. Even already knowing how this story ends, I still cried.
    Twiggy looked so much like our guy, Yogi, it's amazing.
    Twiggy's second chance certainly turned into a wonderful life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, he had a wonderful life, and was loved by us all!

    ReplyDelete